Windows Vista Forums

20th May 2007, 04:56 PM
So recently I went into msconfig to disable unwanted startup programs. However I noticed one file that stands outand I'm not sure if it spyware or something else that could be a threat. MAagent.exe is in the start up tab and the description for the file is in korean. I tried googling the file and there was nothing I could find about it. Any help is appreciated

20th May 2007, 05:44 PM
Go get AVG anti-spyware trial and run a scan. That looks to be some sort of spyware program.

20th May 2007, 08:14 PM
I've run Kaspersky Anti-virus on my PC and tried AVG anti-spyware. They both said my system was clean. Also the lack of information on the file starting to lead me to think it might not be a threat. I mean if it was I am sure someone would have documented on the internet.

I don't know if this would help but here is a screen clipping of the description of the MAagent.exe:

30th May 2007, 05:53 AM
This belongs here right

C:\Program Files\MarkAny\ContentSAFER\MAAgent.exe

The website here http://www.markany.com/eng/default.htm

Now im not sure many will use that soI think you can get rid of it.

31st May 2007, 06:44 AM
I say if you dont know what it is even after looking into it disable it and see what happens. If something fails to work after just reenable it no harm done.

7th June 2007, 07:01 AM
Maagent.exe is installed when you install the software included with your Samsung mp3 player in Windows based Oses.

It supposedely protects from copying unsecure files on your Mp3 player. To my knowledge the entry can be disabled or removed using MSconfig and has no ill effect to your system with or without it.

9th June 2007, 07:07 AM
Quote:
X-Doomer (6/7/2007)Maagent.exe is installed when you install the software included with your Samsung mp3 player in Windows based Oses.

It supposedely protects from copying unsecure files on your Mp3 player. To my knowledge the entry can be disabled or removed using MSconfig and has no ill effect to your system with or without it.

Thanks that would make sense actually since Samsung is a Korean company and I just recently bought a new samsung MP3 player. Alright so I shouldn't be too concerned

17th June 2007, 09:29 AM
There's more to it. MaAgent.exe from 'Mark Any' is a Digital Rights Management tool, which controls user rights to downloaded music from online stores and adds invisible watermarks to them to track them if they ever turn up on P2P sites. The program is 'ContentSafer', and here's the description from the company website http://www.markany.com/eng/prod02-1.htm

• Overview of ContentSAFER (MarkAny DRM)

• ContentSAFER prevents illegal distribution of digital content to protect copyrights through DRM-based encryption, access control, and watermarking technology.

• ContentSAFER is a total solution of DRM service from service providers to end users delivered through wired network, transferred to portable devices, mobile handsets, or delivered to IP set-top-box. ContentSAFER employs not only conventional DRM technology (encryption with access control information), but also watermarking technology. It provides a perfect solution for copyright protection in a single system.

• Encryption technology is employed to control client's activities in consuming the contents by designating the usage rules on content according to user payment and authority, while watermark technology is employed to verify ownership of digital contents or trace back illegal copier and distributor.

• ContentSAFER enables content providers to make stable business by providing flawless, smooth interfaces between newly established content service systems and existing service systems or with billing system. Effectiveness and efficiency of the system has been proved in various projects.

• Key Features

• Supports various content file formats and rendering applications (WINAMP, Windows Media Player, GOM player, ….). However, because OS-kernel based encryption/decryption module is used in the system, it is not necessary to install private rendering applications to play specific types of contents. Other DRM systems, such as WMRM or OMA DRM, require their own private rendering applications.

• ContentSAFER is built, separately from existing systems, and thus does not cause computational burden to existing service systems with no influence on the speed of end user's computing devices.

• Protects copyright of the digital content perfectly by employing conventional DRM technology (encryption and access control), and world-class watermark technologies (option).

• Supports various encryption algorithms. Recommended algorithm is AES (128bit Rijndal algorithm) adopted by NIST(National Institute of Standards and Technology).

• Supports ASP service model

• Enhances copyright protection when it is combined with Web Content Protection system (MarkAny's WebSAFER).

• Proved technical excellency in MaxMp3, Bugs Music , Music City , My Listen, pFull

• Who needs ContentSAFER?

• Contents provider and service provider

• MOD, VOD service provider

• Internet broadcasting provider (IPTV, Set-Top-Box, home network)

• On-line education service provider and cyber university

• E-book, Game, music, movie, photo, document service provider (wired and wireless)

• On-line banking service provider

I think you'd be better off without big brother watching you, but it may interfere with downloading from music stores.

Eclectic:angry:

6th February 2013, 02:07 PM
I came across the program folder for this while searching for another. It made me curious because of the Korean origin. After seeing the above comments I investigated the web site for this program MarkAny (markany dot com / wp /). It's Korean so you'll need to translate it if you want to browse around. At the bottom of the home page is a link for Customers (markany dot com / wp/?page_id=273), and if you follow that link, it gives all the companies that use this product. Samsung is the only one that I anything installed from, so I checked around my program folder and found nothing with the same created date. I then went to add/remove programs and found that Samsung Kies shared the same date as installed. This program for those unfamiliar with it, is a program associated with my Samsung mobile phone used to install updates to the OS and to transfer files. The MarkAny program doesn't have an entry under add/remove programs because it was installed as part of a package along with Kies I'm guessing. So anyone that has a mobile device made by Samsung and have installed programs for them made by Samsung will probably have this installed on their computer. It's used for DRM purposes, and that's about all. So it's nothing to worry about unless you pirate music files

Hope this helps