Windows Vista Forums

Error 0x800423F3 when backing up or restoring

2nd February 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE780G that is just a little over a year old. It originally came with Windows XP MCE. I upgraded to Vista Home Premium through the Sony Express Ugrade that came with the system.

I have been running Vista since April 2007. I have had once a weekautomatic backups running since that time and never had a problem.

This week the back up failed and gave the following message

"A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason. The writer experienced a transient error (0x800423F3).

I then tried to restore to a previous point just prior to the last backup and got the same message.

I'm not sure whether it is related, but I also can not access any of the system information using Windows Mangement System Information tool. In System Information I get the following message

"Can't collect information. Cannot access the Windows Instrumentation software. Windows management files may be moved or missing"

I haven't installedany new software or updated any drivers in the last week.

After searching for some answers I've done the following

Checked services to make sure VSS is started and checked to make sure WMI is started.

No help.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could provide some assistance here.

Thanks,

Ken

3rd February 2008, 06:47 PM
Bump

Super Moderator

4th February 2008, 08:50 AM
Try the following:

1) Start the computer in Safe Mode without networking.

2) Open a command prompt as administrator

3) Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.

4) Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ and rename the Repository folder.

5) Reboot and restart as normal

6) Open a command prompt as administrator.

7) Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to stop the wmi service.

8) Type winmgmt /resetRepository and restart the system.

See if this works.

6th February 2008, 09:24 PM
i have a sony laptop. i will never buy sony product in my life. it's sucks. so much of trouble with my laptop that i am facing. somemore the customer officer not good in singapore.

Super Moderator

7th February 2008, 04:40 PM
dude779:

Not to defend Sony, but from what I've seen, very much the same problems are being reported with Acers, Lenovos, HPs, Dells -- and the list goes on and on ... No one vendor has a lock on crappy merchandise; no one vendor has a lock on good merchandise.

I've seen posts from people complaining about how their laptop has been nothing but trouble since they bought it, and now weeks later ...

My advice to them is simple -- take the crappy thing back and demand a full refund!

Everyone at my workplace who has bought a Vista laptop, has sent it back in disgust. Everyone except me -- I upgraded my Fujitsu laptop, despite it being declared as not upgradeable by Fujitsu, and I've had no problems with it at all -- and that's been over a year now. But then, I readily admit to being a "geek" and am willing to invest hours if necessary to diagnose and fix problems -- which I've had to do on my desktop Vista Ultimate machine which WAS Vista Premium Capable. Go figure!

So, what I'm saying in the long way is that (1) you're not alone -- lots of people are having Vista problems with their laptops, and (2) there's no brand I can recommend to you as being trouble-free.

Maybe someone else here has had better experiences with their laptop and can recommend you a different brand.

24th February 2008, 09:48 AM
The error 0x800423F3 fix posted by WAW8 worked on my Toshiba U205-5067 with Windows Vista Ultimate.

Since I first received the computer 5 months ago, I have been unable to use the "restore" or "back-up" functions. The good old "transient" error message - (error 0x800423f3) just kept reappearing.

Finally, after following WAW8's work-thru, I can create a restore point and do a full system backup - miracle

Thanks a lot.

I thought I would have to reinstall the operating system and was not looking forward to the hassle for a maybe fix.

By the way, I had tried all the other "fixes" posted on various tech/info boards and nothing had worked.

The Toshiba has been just great; Vista hasn't.

20th March 2008, 12:42 PM
Could you please be more specific? I get the same error (0x800423f3) but it occurs when I try to manually create a restore point. However, I noticed that System Restore does create restore points automatically and I can restore from from the System Restore Console, but it won't work when I try to restore by opening SR from my start menu. Is what you propose something I should try for my particular problem? If so , by "specific" I mean step no's 2, 4, 6,7, and8. In other words, I'm at least half stupid and I need it told to me like a child. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to solution. Chris. P.S. I am running Vista Home Premium upgrade on top of XP, but my System Restore did not work for the last 6 mos.on XP anyway.

20th March 2008, 02:11 PM
I'll help explain the points more thoroughly:

1) Start the computer and press f8 on boot up and select'Safe Mode without networking'.
2) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) andon the top search result right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
3) Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.
4) In the start menu click 'computer' on the right hand side. Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like OLDRepository (right click and choose 'Rename Folder'.
5) Reboot and restart as normal.
6) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and at the top right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
7) Type 'net stop winmgmt' (without quotes) and press enter to stop the wmi service.
8) Type 'winmgmt /resetRepository' (without quotes)and restart the system.

6th May 2008, 08:04 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Vista Home Premium that is 3 months old.My backup & system restore has NEVER worked.I always get the same response "A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason. The writer experienced a transient error (0x800423F3). I have even just tried backing up my pictures and I get the same response. I had great hopes when I saw the fix that WAW8 posted so I tried it. Same response when I ran a manual backup. I retried the same fix just to make sure I had done everything correctly and again the same problem.

Any other suggestions? I'm just about ready to turn it back in. I realize it's a different topic but my Quickset has also never worked. Not sure what it's for or if I actually need it but it's rather upsetting to pay so much (for me) for a pc and to have things that don't work. I have searched and searched for fixes. Oh, I forgot, at least once a day (I'm on my pc for 12-14 hrs a day) I get a blue screen with sometimes the same error but often it's different.

Help for any of my problems would be greatly appreciated. I will wait impatiently.

Super Moderator

6th May 2008, 09:57 PM
If your problems are not directly related to the post topic, please don't take the post off-topic. Sorry you're having other problems, but we're not trying to turn every post into every problem possible; we're trying to keep the posts focused on particular problems -- that way, the folks won't have to read ALL the posts, hoping to find a solution for one problem.

Please start a new thread if you're having different problems.