Windows Vista Forums

Destination Folder Access Denied

26th March 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi, I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a solution to this....anyone here know...please!!

I am running Vista Ultimate on one PC and XP Pro SP2 on another. I am the only user and have full admin rights on both (I checked) They are connected by a wired home network. I can see and browse the XP PC from the Vista PC, install programs from the XP PC onto the Vista PC - no problem BUT.... when I am using the Vista PC and try to copy a file across from the XP PC I can see the file appear in the Vista folder (using drag & drop) but then I get the dreaded "Destination Folder Acess Denied....You need permission toperform this action" you can only click 'RETRY.'or 'CANCEL'....of course RETRY just repeats the errorwindow and CANCel removes the file that you have dropped into the destination folder. As I am the owner with full rights over the folder, does anyone know what this message means and how to set whatever 'permission' is required?

thanks in hopeful anticipation.....

27th March 2007, 01:15 PM
Quote:
bj33790 (3/26/2007) As I am the owner with full rights over the folder, ...
It sounds like that's not the case, I know you think it should be but the permissions thing between XP and Vista or visa versa is not as clear cut as it appears, being logged in as Admin on one system doesn't automatically make the files on the other system fully available. You can't do the full share thing with the default 'simple shares' that Vista defaults to.

You need to either create a login for the other machine so that the account it's opening is also an admin status with advanced permissions

or take ownership of all the files on the Network, allowing you to do whatever you like.

THISshould put you on the right track.

27th March 2007, 04:31 PM
Hi, Many thank for your reply

I checked the ownership of files on the Xp PC and my rights, and have full ownership and rights of the folder and documents there as well as on the Vista PC.

I tried copying the file from the Xp PC to a USB 'zip key' and then plugged the 'USB Zip key' into the Vista PC and it lets me copy the file from this to any folder I want on the Vista PC. ( I guess thats one way to do it but slow and tedious) ............so it is something to do with copying a file across the network, but surely we all want to that at some time....but it somehow needs more permission...do I have to email Bill Gates for permission to copy my file from the two computers on my network that I own and am the only user and administrator or what?...it doesnt make sense to have such high security that you can't copy files from one PC to another as an administrator.....is this really a security bug in Vista?

27th March 2007, 04:41 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention, the error says "Destination Folder Access Denied" so it is Vista denying accessto my Vista folder for writing to it, not Xp not allowing me to access a file there....surely others are experiencing the same problems?

28th March 2007, 03:47 PM
Comeon guys and girls, there must be someone bright out there that has solved this problem....please share it with me before I go totally mad...

30th March 2007, 05:37 AM
I have almost exactly the same problem. I have an XP "fileserver" at work. It has various shared directories and user accounts. Most shared directories have full control permissions for any authenticated user (i.e. correct username/password).

I log into Vista with my username and the local vista password. Then I browse to the fileserver. To connect I enter the username/password pair. It connects and lets me see the files located on the server. I'm able to create new files, write changes to files, delete files and even read files for opening in many applications (Acrobat Reader and Notepad both read their respective .pdf and .txt files from the share directories on the server). However, if I want to copy files from any share directory on the server over the network to ANY local folder on the vista machine I get the INFURIATING "Destination Folder Access Denied" message. It always waits until the END of the filecopy operation to tell me. Never at the beginning. The first time I found this out was after copying a 1.8GB file from the fileserver to the vista machine.

Yes, I have admin privs on the vista machine. I have even run explorer with elevated privs just to try to make sure.. Nothing works. No file copying FROM the network shares!!!

Ugg. Vista is going to get discarded if I can't find a fix for this crap.

30th March 2007, 06:56 AM
Hi Labradore, yes this is exactly the problem I have, I have tried everything I can think of to give me permission tocopy filesto my own folders from across the network, even giving myself full rights of the whole of the C: drive but with no success. I cant believe that no one knows the solution, lots of people must be trying to copy files around a network so it must work! GRRRrrrrrr.

5th April 2007, 03:02 PM
I also have the "Destination Folder Access Denied" problem. In my case, it occurs in the process of copying files from a Windows XP Professional system to a Vista system, across a home wired network. It appears to occur specifically in attempts to copy files with certain types, including .pdf. A workaround almost as inconvenient as using a flash memory card to transfer the files is placing them in a .zip archive and transferring that. I don't see how this can't be a Vista bug: if the message really means that the problem is with access to the desination folder, then Windows has no business transferring all the other files into that same folder.

5th April 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi All,

Here is the answer (at least it was for me and I expect for most of you also).

First, this is a confusion that happens with XP as well as Vista. Second you don't need to be connected to a network to observe this problem. From Windows Explorer on Vista any shared folders will appear in two places: A) Under "Computer" and B) Under "Network" and the subentry for your machine. You should be able to reproduce the kind of problems described in this thread when you try to access the shared folder under "Network". For example, you may be prevented from creating a new file in the shared folder under "Network", but be able to create the file as expected when you do itin the same folder under "Computer".

So what's causing this? The answer isthat there are TWO sets of permissions involved: "NTFS permissions" and "sharing permissions". The folks in this thread are probably getting the "NTFS permissions" set right, but not the "sharing permissions". These are likeinner and outer doors on your home. The inner door (NTFS permissions) may be wide open, but until the outer door (sharing permissions) is also open you can't get in.

To get to both groups of settings for Vista, right click on the folder you are trying unsuccessfully to share and select properties. You should see tabs for both "Sharing" and "Security". Select the "Sharing" tab and press the "Advanced Sharing..." button. Press the "Permissions" button. You should see a list of users hopefully including yourself. What sharing permissions do you have? In my case I had "read" permission but not "change" or "full control". Once I checked those boxes I was able to copy files to the shared folder. Note again that these are the sharing permissions (the "outer door"). I had already given myself full permissions on the "Security" tab (these are the NTFS permissions or the "inner door") and even taken ownership on the "Security" tab, but that wasn't enough.

Couldthe Windows UI be improved to reduce the confusion about these two sets of permissions? Probably, but since the same unclarity was there in XP (and I guess even before) I won't hold my breath .

Did this fix the problem for any of you?

See also:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...49730-1,00.htm

Alan

6th April 2007, 02:21 AM
try same username for both system and make ownership for bothe user.

and also one artical available on this blog you can try that tips also

www.vista-basic.blogspot.com

http://vista-basic.blogspot.com