Windows Vista Forums

Boot up time poor

8th March 2007, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Anyone experiencing poor boot up times with Vista? I only have 1 gig of DDR500 memory, however, compared to my old XP it's crap, sometimes like 3-5mins......It seems to hang as soon as it loads up my menu icons on the botton left taskbar. I do have a good idea with msconfig etc so I know how to disable items to the startup, however, I can't seem to find the casue of this problem.

Anyone know any tricks? I am assuming it is because I only have 1 gig of memeory but once loaded it handles multiple programs very well ://

AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz

1 gig DDR 500 mem

120 gig HDD etc......

Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Thanks

Phil

8th March 2007, 12:24 PM
Hmm i only have 1gig of ram myself and i have no problems. When it hangs what is the next thing that loads on the taskbar on the right. Mine is kind of slow with the security warning, but other than that nope no problems here. Try disabling whatever is last to load.

Have you tried using windows defender to disable programs.

Windows Defender method
  1. <LI>Click on the Start Button, enter Windows Defender and hit Enter. <LI>Click on the Tools from the top menu bar. <LI>Click on Software Explorer and select Show for All Users. <LI>Select an application to either Remove or Disable.</LI>

8th March 2007, 12:34 PM
1GB is on the low side if you have other programs load on startup. Such as MSN, Outlook, sidebar, antivirus, windows defender. My laptop had 2GB and booted vista lightning fast, then one ram stick failed so now I only have 1GB and there is a significant reduction in boot time. At leaset 15-20 seconds.

Try this, add the performance cpu/memory monitoring gadget on the sidebar and see how much vista uses on startup. When I had 2GB it would only be around 46% physical memory w/ 1GB its near 86% all the time.

Like vistaRocks said, try disabling startup programs. Type "msconfig" in the search box in the start menu and go to startup tab, uncheck any programs which are not necessary.

8th March 2007, 02:45 PM
Cheers for the replys!

I disabled my ATI and Defender etc and it loaded up a little quicker but hung (still could use windows) at that windows security icon. I think it may be a memory problem, cheers for the tips

8th March 2007, 03:01 PM
As long as your happy with the security of your system you can disable the security warning icon and that will help speed things up too.

Make Security Center go away The Security Center icon in the notification area is a nag. There's just no other word for it. And if you're confident that your security settings are in order, you really don't need the nagging.

To make Security Center disappear into the background, open its icon in Control Panel and click Change the way Security Center alerts me in the Tasks pane on the left. In the resulting dialog box, choose Don't notify me and don't display the icon (not recommended).

8th March 2007, 03:30 PM
Cheers, I've made it dissapear