Windows Vista Forums

Black Screen of Death

2nd November 2011, 04:20 PM
Hello,

I am helping a friend of mine who is running Vista, SP2. The other day he received the black screen of death on his desktop. Access to programs is minimal at best. Control Panel, My computer, and Windows explorer do not work at all. He is running Microsoft Security Essentials, called Dell they say Virus, Call Microsoft they save software issues. I've ran hardware diagnostics from F12, everything passed, ran CHKDSK from elevated Cmd Prompt with Admin privileges. Ran SFC/scannow it stops at 68% saying Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Detail are in the CBS Logs, ok, now I've looked at the logs, but haven't a clue what I am looking for. So, any ideas on what else to do. A reformat or setting back to Factory settings is really not an option at this time, we can't back up any of his files & that's no bueno. He does have Carbonite but I haven't been able to see what's been backed up yet, as he just told me. LOL, but he really wants his computer functioning the way it is. To me it would appear it's in Reduced Functionality Mode for some reason, but he doesn't know what set Vista off. It is an OEM Vista preinstalled by Dell when he purchased it. So, any help would be appreciated, maybe I missing something. Thanks again!!!!

2nd November 2011, 04:23 PM
Correction, he wants his computer running the way it was, not is. LOL
Also, I cannot get the naughty thing to Connect to my wireless router as the connection wizard only lets me go to entering my info & key, then it stops...nothing. Any help will be appreciated. This puppy is taxing my computer knowledge but I don't want to give up. Thanks again!

Super Moderator

2nd November 2011, 04:31 PM
My own experience in running SFC from INSIDE Windows (using a command window) has been disappointing -- it was never able to fix anything. I found, however, that if I booted from the Vista DVD and ran it there from a command prompt, it would work.

If you have a Vista DVD, or even a Windows 7 DVD, you can try that option.

If you have neither, then you can go to the link below, purchase the disk image appropriate for the PC, download and burn it to CD, and use that:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/

2nd November 2011, 07:13 PM
You know what, i don't but I can get a Command Prompt for Advance boot menu. I will try that, thank you for the idea! Didn't even think to try that puppy from there. Thanks, I will keep you all posted!

5th November 2011, 04:19 AM
Ok, so I've gotten my hands on the Vista dvd, now my question is, if I boot from the dvd, is going to do a complete install or will it allow like in xp where you have a repair files option, if not how do I get the command prompt up from the disc so I can run the sfc scan from there. Thanks for help

Super Moderator

5th November 2011, 04:48 PM
When you boot from the DVD, you should get a screen with a selection for Repair. Check that, and you'll get another screen with a list of selections. There should be one for command mode. When you get the command screen, enter the sfc command.