Windows Vista Forums

Auto-Connect not working in Vista

17th December 2007, 06:21 PM
I have a relatively new PC running Woindows Vista Ultimate. (piece of crap). Whenever I plug in a flash drive, the computer fails to recognize it. I also just tried to connect my digital camera to download pictures (something I've done numerous times. No luck. Again, when I plug the camera in I get to bonk-bonk sound that I've connected, but nothing ever shows up as an icon in my Computer view. I called Olympus and they spent quite a bit of time with me trying to troubleshoot. He even had me connect to a different (XP Pro) laptop and the dialog box opened instantly, plus I was able to download pix. I need to be able to do that simple process on my PC running Vista. Any suggestions?

18th December 2007, 12:46 PM
Word of advice: When looking for help the last thing to do is to start slating windows vista. Us moderators volunteer our time and expertise to help people using vista, and slatingit is not the way to get help.

However, I will help you. Is the device found in my computer? If it is, you may have accidently changed certain autoplay settings. Type 'AutoPlay' in start menu and press enter and set everything to ask what to do. If the device is not found in my computer, the problem could be due to hardware rather than software. Make sure your motherboard bios is up to date, and also see if all usb ports have the same problem.

Super Moderator

19th December 2007, 10:24 AM
Was this PC that runs Vista one you installed/upgraded yourself? Or did it come with Vista already installed? If you bought it with Vista installed, and it's still under warranty, take it back and demand they fix it. If you installed/upgraded it yourself, you already have some suggestions for fixing it.

I have several different machines running different versions of Vista and NONE of them have any trouble sensing USB plugin devices, including cameras. This is NOT a generic Vista problem.