Windows Vista Forums

Audio NOT LOUD ENOUGH

13th August 2007, 02:51 PM
Is there a way in Vista to change the decibel value for audio devices? I'm using a Creative XMOD usb dac and everything is too quiet. I switched back to my onboard audio and got the same results, which leads me to believe it's something in Vista. When I was running XP, my music got so loud you could barely stand to wear the headphones! PLZ HALP!! I like my music angry and loud and my output is muffled and only slightly irritated :crazy:

Thanks.

13th August 2007, 09:42 PM
As is mine and like my music equally load and angry i am sure, hopefully someone more audio savvy than I can help us both as i have not been able to tweak the output level much in Vista. Sorry that's not any help but i can empathize comletely.

What's the point of 6.1 if Blood for Blood doesn't shake the windows?

14th August 2007, 03:02 AM
Have you tried right clicking the volume icon in the systray and altering the volumes independantly ? there should be 2 sliders one for Windows (system) sounds and one for devices, by default they are both set 'low', adjusting the devices slider will make everything other than system event sounds much louder.

If you just left click the icon you only get the one slider which whilst it doesn't say so is actually only the system volume control, even set high it will still be less volume than you expect, I assume the theory behind it is that you wont want 'chings' and 'beeps' as loud as game or media volumes, which makes sense to me.

14th August 2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks AmNight, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having this problem :laugh:

Every volume control in every submenu I can find is maxed out, and none of them make it loud enough to suit me. Is there a registry value I can edit or something?

16th August 2007, 01:46 AM
Hello.

I've been having the same problem and I can't figure it out either!

Ever since I got this new computer in April I have not been able to hear audio very well. My speakers don't seem to work at all (plugged in from the back). And I can hear through my earphones but just barely.

At random times, though, I can hear through my speakers or my earphones are really loud.

When I open up that volume thing while playing some audio this is what I get:

16th August 2007, 02:00 AM
Have you tried the right click I suggested earlier ?

16th August 2007, 02:19 AM
Oh wow!

I didn't finish my message and hit Post Reply instead of Preview.

Which totally made me forget what I was going to say so I did the next thing I thought I should do, take a screenshot of my volume settings:

But nevermind that, it's irrelevant. (I think.)

It's a good thing I have a bad memory or else I never would have stared at that little speaker icon and right clicked on it and saw "Playback Devices"

I've played around a bit with those settings before but they never helped me.

I tried again tonight and I found an answer!

Right-Click on that speaker icon in your system tray and click on Playback Devices.

Click on "Speakers" and then "Properties".

From the tabs on top click on "Enhancements".

From there uncheck the "Voice Cancellation" and the "Loudness Equalization" boxes.

For some odd reason those were set by default. o.0

Now I can listen to Rick Astley and you can listen to your loud, angry music!

Everyone wins.

Er. Except for me. I was doing this with some speakers I just bought (for my mp3 player, not my computer) and I still can't hear too well from my computer speakers. But the computer desk is a pigsty and one of my speakers fell behind the table so that's my own problem. >.<

Hopefully this worked for you!

-teh darkcloud

EDIT:

Well, I guess that wasn't the problem with my speakers. :|

The sound is perfect on my new speakers but my old speakers are still sort of quiet. (but they at least work now.)

It could be that my speakers are just old. (I got them from Big Lots when Big Lots was still known as Pic N' Save)

But yeah, I just figured I'd tell you guys.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Okay, after some looking around, while my new speakers are louder than my old ones, they're still not that loud. It was just that one Rick Astley video. o.0

But I looked around YouTube and when I click on the volume control, the little green bar still doesn't go up all the way usually.

It did when I listened to a song on Windows Media Player but it was just that one song and it still wasn't too loud. But considering the fact that these are supposed to be iPod/MP3 player speakers, they might not go up that loud anyway.

Any thoughts?

16th August 2007, 02:21 AM
Quote:
cyclic (8/16/2007)Have you tried the right click I suggested earlier ?

Yep, I tried that when I first got this computer.

16th August 2007, 07:51 AM
If the green bar goes uppast half the way on the mixer then the 'quietness' is due to your speakers. If i turn the volume up on my speakers to max, even if the system is set at half its too loud for me!

It depends on how much your speakers can amplify the signal to how loud you can go, but obviously if the system output is too low (the green bar not very noticble) then the amplification is not going to help.

16th August 2007, 08:19 AM
Ijust now got around to installing my Realtek HD 6.1drivers and utilities and now no more problem so...............not much help for anyone else i guess,but mines fixed!

I am bad about not using my ultities disks that come with my mobos sometimes i just install what iNEED and skip over the rest, then i forget to go back and install the goodies.