Windows Vista Forums

2 driver install problems

18th June 2006, 04:00 PM
EDIT: Crap... you can't use XP drivers can you? Or can you?

Hi everyone - I just installed Vista a couple of hours ago, and it is mostly great. I was happy until I discovered that my sound (which was auto-detected in XP) did not work and required a driver. I also wanted to install my wireless internet (Netgear MA111 Wireless USB Adapter)... so I tried both... and I got the same error both times. I wish I had a screenshot but I have no internet on Vista! The error says:

(for the audio)

Windows encountered a problem...

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Realtek AC'97 Audio

The system cannot find the file specified

(for the wireless internet)

ditto but for the MA111

So... any ideas? It apparently found the drivers but they don't exist...? Pls help because no sound and no internet really sucks.

18th June 2006, 05:11 PM
eeemmmm iv got linksys wireless adapters and they work fine.... what you using for internet now....have you used you netgear disc to install?? thats all i used and mine fine......if that dont workuse that comp your using nowto go onto netgears website and see if they have a driver for vista....

as for sound is it built in on mother board or is it a added on sound card??? theres been abit of difficulty with sound cards on vista. my sound card had to be replaced due to lack of suport from vista....

ivnow got a sound blaster 5.1 (£10 it cost me )and vista found that straight away.

other than trying your own disc's or going to the manufactorers websites for drivers and or doing into device manager and on the hardware select update drivers theres not alot you can do.....

let us know what happens mate

nathan

18th June 2006, 06:28 PM
I spent some time searching, and found that my wireless adapter has no compatibility with Vista at all, and I (hope) I found the drivers for my sound... btw its onboard sound. Now I have more time so I think I can figure this out. I just need to find Vista drivers for my stuff and buy a new wireless adapter. Thanks for the reply

18th June 2006, 08:40 PM
Hey, guess what I have onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio on my laptop which runs vista. When it first installs it didnt find any drivers, then I went to the device manager and went to update the driver and allowed vista to search its database and it found some and loaded them up. You can try that.

18th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks... I tried but it won't work. I get the same error. I even downloaded the Vista driver from Realtek's website but that didn't work. Oh well nothing ever works for me anyways I'll just wait or reinstall Vista or something...

19th June 2006, 12:26 PM
Had the same Realtek AC97 problem. The latest from Realtek didn't take. I googled and found an earlier version Beta 1 I believe it was here:

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driv...ormation/7685/

Installed it and we've got audio. Both the analog and digital drivers now show upo in the hardware screen

19th June 2006, 12:28 PM
Quote:
GMK (6/19/2006)Had the same Realtek AC97 problem. The latest from Realtek didn't take. I googled and found an earlier version Beta 1 I believe it was here:

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driv...ormation/7685/

Installed it and we've got audio. Both the analog and digital drivers now show upo in the hardware screen

good first post mate..... welcome to vista forums.....

22nd June 2006, 03:30 AM
I've said this in another thread be aware if you have installed the 64bit version of vistawith the latest build,then it might not work even if it works ok on the 32bit .version.

22nd June 2006, 07:29 AM
Quote:
pa1916 (6/22/2006)I've said this in another thread be aware if you have installed the 64bit version of vistawith the latest build,then it might not work even if it works ok on the 32bit .version.

x64 is even harder to find drivers for as well. If you are trying to install x86 vista driver on a x64 os its not gona work.

22nd June 2006, 10:36 AM
i simply used the latest AUDIO driver for my REALTEK onboard sound from ASUS website. ALC850 v5870 WHQL for 32bit. I'm using VB2 x86 so if that helps any. My sound is fantastic, and even supports 24bit-192000hz(studio quality) now